Saturday, March 21, 2020

Roasted Cauliflower Soup


I describe myself as a rustic cook, one who tends to eyeball rather than measure. I'll look at recipes to get method and ingredient ideas for a concept I've dreamed up, and then do as I will. Sometimes, like today with this soup, I hit the jackpot.



Roast a large head of cauliflower coated with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garam marsala spice mix.

Sauté chopped onion, garlic, & ginger in a pot, until the onions soften.

Add the cauliflower, stirring to meld the mixture.

Add a quart of vegetable broth* and cook on medium heat for about ten minutes.

Use a immersion blender to make a smooth mixture.

Add some half&half, heavy cream, or coconut milk for a non-dairy version.
How much is up to you, dependent on consistency and taste.
You can also add some more broth or water if you'd rather not make it so creamy

Adjust the spices an necessary, heat to your desired soup temperature, and enjoy!

We had it with toasted slices of sweet batard bread drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with daka – another spice blend.


*I highly recommend making your own broth. I save the odds and ends from cooking in a bag, keep it in the freezer, and when I have enough, throw what’s there into the InstantPot, fill with water, and cook for about 30/45 minutes. Then I strain, pour the broth into containers of various sizes plus make some ice cubes. That way, I can use the broth in a variety of ways. Not only is the broth super tasty, but I love knowing exactly what it’s made with, and know that dishes won’t have any extra salt.

No comments: