Sunday, December 10, 2006

Missing my Makom Kavuah

Beth Sholom has been "in the wilderness" for almost six months. (Those of you who don't know what that means can click here). I don't want to get into the particulars of how it's going--it's not pretty--but I do want to note a realization I came to this past Shabbat.

I have not found a makom kavuoh at either Shabbat services at Ner Tamid or at daily minyan at the JCCSF. I am someone who embraces the concept of makom kavuoh, having a fixed place for prayer. In June 2005 I wrote about trial and tribulation of losing my minyan makom kavuah and staking out a new one. In that post, I acknowledge the realization that I will have to find a new makom kavuah when we are in the new building. I didn't take into account having to be in temporary spaces during the transition from old building to new.

I don't want to find a fixed space in a temporary place. Because it's not my home, I think it's good to remain flexible. But I need to be aware that not having that fixed space, even for a limited time, may be contributing to the difficulty I'm having adjusting to this time in synagogue limbo.

No comments: