Thursday, April 05, 2007

Counting the Omer Day 2

Today is Gevurah she b'Chesed - a day of strength in a week of loving kindness.

At Beth Sholom, our rabbi search is done. Once the contract negotiations are complete and all is official I will write more about that. I will say that I am thrilled with the outcome, and look forward to this new era in Beth Sholom's history.

Not everyone is as thrilled as I am, but most of those congregants are ready to move ahead and hope for the best. There are others who are not happy about the decision, afraid that their needs will not be met. As a member of the rabbi search committee I am put in a position where those feelings are vented towards me. I try to allay their fears, and talk about all the positive places I see our community heading with our new clergy. These conversations are not always easy, as emotions run deep in these matters. While I remain strong in my support for our new rabbi and the new directions he will take us in, I must wrap that strength in a cloak of loving kindness. This gives me a better place from which to communicate that message, and creates an opening to enable others to hear it.

No comments: