Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Centering on Torah


היום שמונה וארבעים יומים שהם ששה שבועות וששה יומים לעמר
Today is the forty-eightה day of the omer - six weeks and six days
יסוד שבמלכת

A day of foundation in a week of majesty



In two days we will celebrate Matan Torah--the giving of the Torah. In some ways, I think I should think about this as a kind of New Year celebration--to do teshuvah; to make resolutions. As I noted earlier this week, I keep Torah close. So the creation, this first view of the Torah, is an important beginning.

I've felt a loss of spiritual center this year. I could cite lots of reasons--Beth Sholom "fatigue", the passing of Mitzi and Rabbi Lew in such a short time, issues with advancing to "elder" status, to name a few. But instead of looking at what I've lost, what I cannot change, I realize I need to go back to my basics--looking to what sustains me. Just as I go to the gym weekly to keep my body in tune, I need to study Torah each week to keep my mind and spirit in tune.

In the past few years I have centered much of my Jewish practice on service to my community. I called on the strength of my practice to get both my kahal and myself through those difficult years. I will continue to support my community, but I need to make the replenishment of my spirit a priority.

This is the message of this day of foundation in the week of majesty--this day as we take those final steps that take us to Sinai.

No comments: