Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Listening is Key


היום ארבעה ושלשים יומים שהם ארבעה שבועות וששה יומים לעמר
Today is the thirty-fourth
day of the omer - four weeks and six days
יסוד שבהוד

A day of foundation in a week of humility


This week I started the edit process for a new series of videos for an educational non-profit group who have become regular clients. One of the producers I'm working with is new to me and she's been consulting with another producer to get up to speed with our workflow. In the midst of an email explaining the process, it was nice to read, "You're going to love working with Marilyn. She's the best editor we use!"

It's not just my visual, creative skills she's referring to with that comment. It's my ability to work well in a group, collaborative effort--whether it's in person or, as in this case, coordinating all the elements in the digital, internet environment. I used to work in an edit room with various production people coming in and out as their input was needed. Now we're all in our own places, often in different parts of the country, with the files coming to our computers to view and share comments.

Communicating well with my clients, be it in person or by email, is a large part of how I've been successful in my profession. I've often said that one of my best skills is the ability to listen to my clients, know what they want to see--even when they often don't--and get it in their program within the time allotted to get the job done. And, of course, I do it with style :)

Maybe that's the real message to me that comes on this day of foundation and humility. The foundation of years of experience that I bring to my work is appreciated; I need to keep the humility that is necessary to hear what those around me are saying.

No comments: