Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Seasonal Fruits


היום שבעה ועשרים יומים שהם שלשה שבועות וששה יומים לעמר
Today is the twent
y-seventh day of the omer - three weeks and six days
יסוד שבנצח
A day of foundation in a week of endurance

My Jewish practice makes me very aware of the cycles of the day, month, and year. Because the origins of the Jewish people have roots within an agriculturally-based society, I'm also aware of the growing seasons. The Shelosh Regalim, the three pilgrimage festivals of the Jewish sacred calendar, are tied to the different harvests: Pesach, the barley; Shavuot, the first fruits; Sukkot, the fall harvest.

Since I've become a farmer's market regular I have another way to mark the seasons--the appearance of the locally grown fruit and vegetables of the season. I've shared my joy at finding the first persimmons of the year. And last year I reveled in eating the first stone fruit of the season.

That time came again this morning, with my first sighting of apricots and cherries at the farmer's market. They may not be the sweetest fruit I'll have this year, but eating them after a long absence is a special treat. It was one of those Shehechiyanu moments, as I recited the blessing for experiencing something new, appreciating the small wonders of the world.

No comments: