Wednesday, April 22, 2009


היום שלשה עשר יומים שהם שבוע אחד וששה יומים לעמר
Today is the thirteenth day of the omer - one week and six days

יסוד שבגבורה
A day of foundation in a week of strength



As Ken has me going through the contents of boxes that have been stored in the garage for some years now, I end up taking those proverbial walks down Memory Lane. Along with the old address books I mentioned a couple of days ago, I also found old journals. I was never able to be a consistent journaler--I think my longest stretch was around 6 months. I always thought that meant I failed as a diarist, but now I am glad to have these stories of various times in my life, told in my own words.

This blog now serves the same purpose as those journals. I still write in fits and starts--and it's still a way to keep in touch with my earlier selves. Two years ago, during my first go-round of blogging the omer, I wrote about the start of my regime to lose weight. I was struggling a bit with the outcome--I could see and feel the physical difference, but the scale told a different story. But I did profess a determination to continue on that path of well being.

I'm glad to report that I have been able to keep my resolve. Without too many bumps in the road I have been able to reach a good place for my body. I am a good 20 pounds lighter than I was when I started that first cleanse. My yoga practice is strong, and I've added two days a week at the gym into my routine.

There's no telling what the future will hold. There are many potential roadblocks that could cause me to fall off the path. So, to that future self--don't obsess about what you're not doing or you haven't done. Just start again, now. Like that first breathe in meditation, the first step can be the most satisfying.

No comments: