Friday, April 17, 2009

A Kabbalistic Betzalel



היום שמונה יומים שהם שבוע אחד ויום אחד לעמר
Today is the eighth day of the omer - one week and one day

חסד שבגבורה
A day of loving kindness in a week of strength




Each day I search for images to connote the omer day. It's a process that takes me in different directions as I look for representations for different aspects the day. Sometimes my writing influences the choice of image--sometimes the image influences the writing. Today is an instance of the latter.

I usually start with the number, and the picture you see here came up high in that search. The original web origin of the image is the website of David Friedman, an artist and kabbalistic teacher living in Safed, Israel. There he showcases his artwork--for sale as silkscreens, posters, cards or postcards--and his written teachings.

I first looked at his artwork--and connected to many of his pieces. One work in particular touched me as it is the image I've been looking for to use when I share my Yud-Hay-Vav-Hay name of God meditation. I was thrilled to be able to order that, as well as some of his other posters. I have my eye on one of his silkscreens, but I'm going to wait.

I looked at some of his teachings as well, and think I will spend some time with them. I've been looking for some teachings to touch my soul, and these have the added element of coming with some meditation practices.

As I transition out of the Passover time into the omer wilderness on the way to Shavuot of Sinai, I do feel on a path. I may not have cleared my house as much as I wanted for Pesach, but I had some difficult clearing of my mind. Sometimes you do get what you need, and I think finding this artwork and these teachings brought me some comfort that I've been seeking. It has reminded me why I follow this path of spiritual guidance. I have chosen to travel the path with teachings and practices of my tribal roots, for they resonate deep within me.

No comments: