Monday, April 20, 2009

Practice makes.....more practice


היום אחד עשר יומים שהם שבוע אחד וארבעה יומים לעמר
Today is the eleventh day of the omer - one week and four days

נצך שבגבורה
A day of endurance in a week of strength



Of the many teachings that I received from my teacher, Rabbi Alan Lew, z"l, I think those that came from seeing how he lived his life touch the deepest. Primary of those teachings is the importance of integrating spiritual practice into your life, not looking at it as something apart from your life. A large part of that integration involves commitment to the practice. It is the commitment that brings the rewards--both when the practice is "working" and when it's not.

As one who loves ritual and needs that time and space to process, I have experienced the joy that spiritual practice can bring. But it's now, when understanding what I'm doing becomes elusive, that the commitment is at it's most potent. I am forced to look at what I'm doing from different angles, different views, to find my way. It is the ultimate in processing, for while I want to run away--I cannot, I will not. For ultimately it is within the processing that I will find the guideposts I need.

And there, for me, lies today's message of endurance in strength.

No comments: