Friday, December 22, 2006

The Final Lighting

Tonight is the last night of Hanukkah. We've followed the ancient tradition of bringing light into the darkest time. The Solstice is behind us and we will now have more light in our days.

For many years I've seen this commemoration as a celebration of liberation. There's the joke about Jewish holidays that sums them all up as "they tried to destroy us, we're still here, let's eat." But this year it was the "light into darkness" theme that resonated with me. I felt the light in the visual sense both through my own eyes and the wide eyes of children as they lit their candles with great care. I felt the light in the spiritual sense, bringing comfort to a soul in grief. I felt the light in a traditional sense, knowing that the ritual of the candles linked me with all those of my tribe--past, present, and future.

As the light of all the candles burn brightly for the last time this Hanukkah 5767, I send you a greeting that is more associated with another practice--yoga--but is appropriate for this moment.



NAMASTE - I honor the light within you

No comments: