Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Generational Mark


היום אחד ועשרים  יום שהם שלשה שבועות בעמר
Today is twenty-one days, which is three weeks of the omer
מלכות שבתפארת
A day of nobility in a week of compassion

I'm planning lessons for tomorrow evening's classes, but I feel I will also need to address what happened in Boston with my students. These are kids who, most likely, have extremely vague if any memories at all of what happened Sept 11, 2001. I'm sure they are aware of the day, have studied it in school, maybe were part of the 10-year commemoration. But this is the first incident of mass insecurity they have experienced in their lives.

In my social justice class, I am planning a discussion of labor issues, centering around the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire. I'm wondering if seeing how the explosions effected Boston will give them a closer perspective of how that fire effected all of New York City.

In my Holocaust class, I'll be teaching about Kristallnacht and bystanders--some helped, some hindered, and some remained indifferent. I'm glad that I can use Boston as an example of "upstanders" - those who jump into the fray to help.


No comments: