Friday, April 20, 2012

From the Bulletin Board....

היום שלשה עשר יום שהם אחד שבוע וששה ימים לעומר
Today is thirteen days, which is one week and six days of the omer
יסוד שבגבורה
A day of foundation in a week of strength

Here's the view of my bulletin board--my personal board, not the one I use for work. Part visual montage, part ticket/coupon holder, part writing idea board. If you click on the photo you will get a larger version.

Maybe one day I'll give a guided tour of the contents, explaining some of the items that may seem a bit odd, or out of place for me. You've got to love the vintage "End Unwanted Seismic Activity" bumper sticker--a Charlie Varon original.

Those white squares of paper contain thought fragments that might make it to a blog post--I capture any ideas that come. I will say they often just stay up on the board for a couple of years before being tossed--not all ideas are good ideas :)


There's a page ripped out of an old datebook that also served as a notebook. This page has three quotes. I don't know when I wrote them down--my guess is the mid 1990s. This is before yoga, before meditation, before cancer, before regular Jewish practice. But I can see the seeds of the need to write, to shed the "no, I can't" and just start letting the words out. I guess you could say this blog is the fruit from those roots. Not a bad representation of foundation with strength.

Work done with anxiety about results
is far inferior to work done without such anxiety,
in the calm of self-surrender.
                       Bhagavad Gita
An artist's only concern is to shoot for some kind of perception,
and on his own terms, not anyone else's.
                      J.D. Salinger, "Franny & Zooey" 
Would you not like to try all sorts of lives--one is so very small--but that is
the satisfaction of writing--one can impersonate so many people.
                     Katherine Mansfield, 1906




No comments: