Thursday, February 01, 2007

Baruch Dayan Ha-Emet - Molly Ivins, 1944 - 2007


Molly Ivins was my kind of gal--a woman with chutzpah. She called it as she saw it. It was more than just not mincing words, she was so good at her craft that she could make you both laugh and cry at the absurdities of those who misuse power. For more on her life and words, read this article from today's Star-Telegram.

Molly Ivins really became my hero in February 2002 as I was in the midst of treatment for breast cancer. At the point when I was about to start chemotherapy, the February 18 Time magazine cover story was "The New Thinking on Breast Cancer." Molly Ivins wrote a sidebar story, "Who Needs Breasts, Anyway?" -- she was diagnosed in 1999. She wrote about her experiences with the same straightforwardness that made us all see the political ironies around us. I quoted her opening to that article many times that year, and have continued to share the line with others in the years that have followed.
"Having breast cancer is massive amounts of no fun. First they mutilate you; then they poison you; then they burn you."
I laughed, and I cried. Her words comforted me, and gave me strength to face what I had to go through.

Zichronah l'vracha - She left us many words which we are blessed to keep in our memories.

1 comment:

moontaco said...

I hope you are well now.

I'll miss Molly so much!