Monday, March 05, 2007

Gladness, Joy, and Fear

Although I've been reading and studying Torah weekly for about 9 years, I often find verses that are new to me. That is part of the joy of studying Torah. I often hear something similar from Rabbi Lew, although for him it's more of a new way of thinking about the words rather than the words themselves.

I'm not as familiar with the Prophets (Nevi'im) and the Writings (Ketuvim) parts of the TaNaKh as I am with the Torah. When I read those sections there are large parts of the stories that are new to me. Megillat Esther, the section of Ketuvim that we read on Purim, falls into that category. Sure, I know the basic story from my childhood but the written tale has complexities that they never taught us in Hebrew school. As I found with the story of Hanukkah, there is a level of violence and bloodshed that is excluded from the children's version.

This year there was one verse that stood out as I was following the reading. It's the last verse in Chapter 8, verse 17:
"And in every province, and in every city, whithersoever the king's commandment and his decree came, the Jews had gladness and joy, a feast and a good day. And many from among the peoples of the land became Jews; for the fear of the Jews was fallen upon them."
When I heard and read that, I was particularly struck by the idea that people became Jews out of fear of otherwise being attacked. This fear was understandable, given the massacres that occurred when King Ahasuerus empowered the Jews to slaughter their enemies. It just seems like such a role reversal.

The history of the Jews in the Diaspora is filled with persecution. I'll never forget a comment of one of my classmates in Western Civilization 4A class at CCSF, which covers ancient times up to the Reformation. She said, "you know, when things aren't going well, they just blame the Jews. " Sad, but true. Throughout the ages we have been the ones in fear, constantly in exile, constantly in danger of annihilation. Many are the stories of Jews who had to hide their identity in order to survive.

Even Queen Esther had to hide her Judaism from the King. It was only through her courage and the courage of Mordechai that the tables were turned and our people were saved. And while we read about our triumph over our enemies and celebrate their downfall, we are also told to ". . . keep the fourteenth day of the month Adar, and the fifteenth day of the same, yearly, the days wherein the Jews had rest from their enemies, and the month which was turned unto them from sorrow to gladness, and from mourning into a good day; that they should make them days of feasting and gladness, and of sending portions one to another, and gifts to the poor." (Esther, Chapter 9:21,22) Even at our most joyful we must remember those less fortunate than us.

I'm not sure why the verse with "the fear of the Jews" strikes an uncomfortable chord with me. But it does, which means it is something to note and come back to in the years to come. It opens another opportunity to see what our ancient texts have to teach us in our modern world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi - I am definitely glad to find this. great job!