Tuesday, March 22, 2005

It's Raining, It's Pouring.......

What can I say....my vacation weather karma has kicked in once again. It's not just raining--a just put up the umbrella and go with it rain. It's stormy, with winds that constantly try to grab the umbrella from your hands. It's drenching rain that makes getting around difficult--you get soaked just waiting for the bus.

I did manage to get out a bit today. Brent drove me over to Newtown, a place I remember as having cool ethnic, Indonesian goods kind of shops. I was hoping to get some clothes that don't make it to the states, plus find the makings of a Queen Esther type costume for Purim--I've brought my sequined tiara with me. But the shops I remember have been, for the most part, replaced with trendy clothes stores with goods out of my age range. I did manage to find a skirt I liked, although I will not be wearing it low on my belly as I believe a teen would. But it works for me.

If the weather clears tomorrow, Joan & Mark Reiss's friend Ralph is taking me on one of his famous walks, possibly around the harbor beaches. If the rain continues, I think I'll hit the museums or galleries.

Friday I'll hang out with Brent and Sharon. Friday through Monday is a holiday weekend here--Easter holiday. It comes as a bit of a shock to me--I don't know if it's because I'm American or Jewish. Is Good Friday a holiday in the US? Maybe just a bank holiday? And we certainly don't do Easter Monday. All the British Commonwealth countries deal with those Christian holidays--for instance, they also do Boxing Day, the day after Christmas. I would guess that those traditions were not lost at Independence, but in the time of separation that followed. As I study Western Civilization, I'm realizing how much Christianity is tied up with European history. Again, as an American and a Jew, those traditions and their origins tend to be out of my radar.

Well, however the holiday has happened, let's hope that the weather clears up and we can all enjoy it.........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's raining and pouring here too (really hard). I was so impressed by your blog, Ruth and I decided to create one for our trip to New York next week. Also starting to finalize our costumes.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn,

I hope you are having a wonderful vacation. Thought I'd vent a little about baseball. It has been bugging me!

Sorry for the harsh e-mail re-Bonds. I know you favor him and this must be a bad time for his fans

Actually I am pretty pissed off about this whole steroids thing, but in a rational way now. Steroids use has been swept under the carpet by player's "union" (really an association of entertainment agents), owners and management for years, but the toothpaste is coming out of the tube big-time now. Management and owners have been making a bundle on the pyrotechnics supplied by these guys, and have turned a blind eye to some of the crud that has been creeping into baseball. BTW: the next big story may be about the large number of players who use Dexedrine, cross-tops and other types of stimulants before games... but that has been going on for a while now too.

I do not expect these players to be angels or saints. Not at all. I expect that they are human and get into their fair share of mischief. But the hypocrisy of the big-time players like Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, et al, can be staggering. In Bonds' case here is a guy who has been the darling of the media for years, is paid millions and millions of dollars per season, who holds court in the locker room like a king -- yes, he has his own Barcalounger, two lockers, and a private trainer until that guy got fired recently. He has had the press eating out of his hand. But when the stuff hits the fan -- stuff caused by HIS own actions -- he pouts, blames the press and hides behind his kids! What ever happened to honesty? Owning up to your mistakes? How about an acknowledgement that at least some of this mess is your own damn fault, much less an apology.

What is lost under all of the hoopla is the simple truth that he, and many other players, have been using illegal substances for years to gain an unfair advantage over the competition. In other words; cheating. It is an ugly truth.

I have been in SBC park and Candlestick park many, many times when Barry has been at bat. I have felt the magic and seen the power and know that this player can turn a game around single-handedly with a stroke of his bat. He has been simply amazing. But how do all of those moments look now in the light of the truth?

Too bad that Barry or McGuire could not have responded to this situation by standing up and saying, "Yeah. I took steroids -- lots of us have been taking them for years. That is the current competitive environment of baseball. It was wrong and we need to stop -- everybody in all sports needs to stop using these drugs. It is unsafe for all players, a disaster for kids and unfair to all players past and present." That I would have admired.

What we got was, "Never touched the stuff," "I thought it was muscle balm," I'm not here to talk about the past," "why do you (the press) need to dwell on this." "It's you fault, not my fault."

I love baseball. But beyond being astounded and amazed by these sluggers, I am a baseball fan. I watched this game when players had off-season jobs. I love the small ball game. Bunting is major. A well-turned double play is a wonder to behold. The game of baseball is bigger than this crop of steroid-fueled multi-millionaire power hitters, and I can't wait till this all blows over and we can get back to THE GAME. Meanwhile, I feel like I have a right to be a little POed.

Anyway Marilyn; sorry abt. the long rant. Knew you'd understand. Go Giants, Go A's!

Yours Truly,